Supervision of Supervision by Mr. John Burnham
Supervision of Supervision
Mr. John Burnham was the former Director of Systemic Training at the Parkview Clinic, Birmingham Women and Children’s Hospital, and currently a consultant Systemic Psychotherapist and Supervisor, with over 40 years of working with families, couples, and individuals.
Last day to sign up: 7 September 2021, Tuesday
26 & 27 October, 2 & 3 November 2021
SGT 2.00 PM – 6.00 PM
Supervisors have an important, exciting, and complex task in facilitating the practice and development of the practitioners they supervise. Supervisors work from many positions and perform many roles: Mentor; Educator; Coach and Crisis manager! To continue to perform these inter-related tasks, supervision of their supervision allows them to be given time to reflect, review and re-vision their supervisory practice. In turn, this can provide practitioners with the supervisors that enable them, in turn, to work more effectively with the clients they serve. These sessions will explore the abilities that are required to practice SOS and the ideas that support and promote these abilities.
JOIN US ON THIS HANDS-ON 4-DAY WORKSHOP WHERE YOU WILL GET TO:
- Review the usefulness of SOS
- Imagine the future practice of SOS
- Demonstrate ideas as practical skills that are transferable
- Assess the short-term and long-term effect(s) of SOS
- Be involved in practical exercises to evaluate your own learning
- Get an opportunity to revisit ideas and practices for clarity and further practice
LEARNING OUTCOMES – APPROACH, METHOD, TECHNIQUE
- Approach: Understand the distinctions and connections between supervision and supervision of supervision
- Method: Organise supervision of supervision to maximise benefits to consumers
- Technique: Use a range of SOS practices within their repertoire
- Presentation: of theory and practice
- Illustration: Why is SOS useful?
- Demonstration: of theory as lived practice
- Inspiration: generating future goals
- Evaluation: of immediate and longer-term effects
Through breakout room discussions, demonstration of practice, case studies, and Q&A.
About the Trainer
Mr. John Burnham is a Systemic Psychotherapist and Supervisor working in the independent and public sectors. His practice includes therapy, supervision, training, consultation, and writing. His main clinical work is with children, young people, and families at Parkview Clinic in Birmingham where he is employed as a Consultant Systemic and Family Psychotherapist and was formerly Head of the Systemic Training Programme. John has over 40 years of experience working with families, couples, and individuals. He was formerly the Director of Training at Kensington Consultation Centre (KCC) in London.
Apart from training in the UK, he teaches in a variety of contexts in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Greece, Singapore, the USA, and South America. He has published numerous articles on the systemic approach to therapy, consultation, training, and supervision. He is the sole author of the classic text ‘Family Therapy: First Steps Towards a Systemic Approach’, published by Routledge, and editor of the Special Edition of Human Systems known as ‘Voices from the Training Context’. His model ‘Approach, Method and Technique’ is widely used in a variety of training contexts.
Workshop Fee: SGD $995.10 (Incl. GST)
VCF details will be relayed to registrants upon confirmation.