Bowen Family Systems Theory Series – Part II Workshop 2 by Dr. Jenny Brown [March 2024]
Walls and Bridges: Using Bowen’s Family System Approach to Appreciate Boundaries and Build Connections in Couple and Family Relationships
Dr Jenny Brown, PhD is a mental health social worker and family therapist, recognised with awards from the Australian Family Therapy Journal and the Bowen Centre Washington DC.
She founded the Family Systems Institute in 2004 in Sydney, Australia and currently directs a clinical practice and the Parent Hope Project. She is an author of 4 books and numerous papers and a speaker on family systems and family relationships.
21, 22 March 2024
SGT 9:00 AM – 5.00 PM
This workshop will be conducted face-to-face. Confirmed participants will be receiving the venue details in due course. Please note that the mode of the workshop may be subject to changes.
This workshop will overview Bowen theory and consider how it guides the clinical effort. It will cover Bowen’s concept of differentiation and how it differs from individuation. Different types of boundaries that enhance both connection and individuality are explored with consideration given to cultural context. Clinical role plays will demonstrate how to assist people in managing the tensions of differences in both couple and family relationships. The broader lens of a person’s’ previous generational influences on managing tensions will be presented.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Any clinicians working in counselling and mental health, Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Counsellors, and Pastoral care workers.
- An understanding of Bowen’s 8 theoretical concepts
- How this theory understands growth-enhancing relationships
- Grasping the interplay of the forces of connection and separateness – considering the cultural contexts.
- Appreciating intergenerational influences on the person and relationships.
- Clinical application- How to lend a hand to people working to better navigate their relationship challenges
- Didactic presentation;
- Skills-building exercises;
- Live case consultation/ demonstration