Working with Asian Couples: Theoretical Framework and Culture
21& 22 April 2021
SGT9.00 am – 5.00 pm
TRAINER: DR. WENTAO CHAO
Department of Psychology and Counseling,National Taipei University of Education, Taiwan
Prof. Wentao Chao has been practicing couples and family therapy for over 20 years, and providing couple and family therapy training in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Malaysia.
His accreditations and experience include:
- Counseling psychologist (License, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan)
- Marriage and family counselor (certificate, Taiwan Association for Marriage and Family Counseling)
- Council member (Taiwan Association for Marriage and Family Counseling)
- Current president (2015/7~2018/6) and council member (Association of Couple and Family Therapy in Taiwan)
- Fellow member (Asian Academy of Family Therapy, AAFT)
- Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy, University of Hong Kong, H.K.
- M.A. in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling, Sonoma State University, U.S.A
Dr. Wentao has also presented and/or conducted trainings in Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Korea, Japan and the UK, and published or co-published multiple research articles and books over the years.
This workshop provides a framework for working with Asian couples.
The framework integrates classical theories, recent updates of interpersonal neurobiology and culture in conceptualizing and working with Asian couples. One of the highlights of this workshop is a review of research and clinical experience on ways Asian couples conceive and practice their intimacy, and how an Asian couple therapist incorporates cultural consideration in working with couples and become sensitive to relational patterns that seem to derive from or relate to local cultures.
The framework helps couple therapists assess the bonding between a couple, and facilitates a process of relational remedy. It can be applied to various presenting complaints of couples, including sexual issues. The workshop will include lecture, role play, and live demonstrations to illustrate how this framework works.
- Get familiar with a systemic framework in assessing and working with couples
- Learn to be sensitive to cultural ways of forming bonding and dealing with intimate issues
- Learn how to apply this framework to couple issues, such as sex.
- Interactive Session
- Role Plays & Reflections
- Case Studies
SGD $963 (Incl. GST & before VCF)
Handouts and slides will be provided to participants. For enquiries, write to firstname.lastname@example.org