Together Alone: Systemic Therapy For Individual Clients By Dr. Paolo Bertrando [12, 13 January 2023]
Together Alone: Systemic Therapy for Individual Clients by Dr. Paolo Bertrando
Dr. Paolo Bertrando MD, PhD, is a psychiatrist and a systemic therapist trained in the Milan Approach to systemic therapy by Luigi Boscolo and Gianfranco Cecchin in the 1980s. He is currently the Scientific Director of the Systemic-Dialogical School in Bergamo.
12, 13 January 2023
9:00 AM – 5.00 PM
Confirmed participants will receive the venue details. Please note that the mode of the workshop is subject to the prevailing COVID-19 precautionary measures in place.
The workshop aims to enable Helping Professionals to look holistically at their client’s conditions and environmental factors to gain a better understanding of their issues, and to equip them with the skills to work with individuals. The participants will gain advanced knowledge of specific systemic techniques and ideas and a detailed view of different phases of therapy to design well-structured sessions for their clients that are founded on sound systemic ideas.
What you will learn:
- To understand systemic individual therapy and choice between individual, couple, and family therapy.
- To be increasingly aware of the person of the therapist in individual work which includes, prejudices, premises, emotions, attitudes.
- Specific techniques such as hypothesizing, emotion recognition, questioning methods, and possible use of couple/family sessions within the individual frame.
- To understand the ethical issues in systemic individual therapy.
- Positioning and emotional awareness and considering emotions according to the systemic view;
- A deeper knowledge of anger, boredom and their relevance in human systems;
- How to investigate unpleasant emotions in the session (use of specific questioning techniques, etc.);
- To consider gender and power issues in therapy
- How the therapist can consider her own person in the therapeutic process;
- How to integrate emotions, gender and power with reference to the person of the therapist/counsellor.
- Interactive Session
- Demonstration of practice – Role Plays & Reflections
- Case Studies
About the Trainer
Paolo Bertrando MD, PhD, psychiatrist and systemic therapist, was trained in the Milan Approach to systemic therapy by Luigi Boscolo and Gianfranco Cecchin in the 1980s. He has been a trainer in the Milan Centre for Family Therapy, from 1993 to 2002, and the director of the Episteme systemic training centre from 2003 to 2012. Currently he is the scientific director of the Systemic-Dialogical School in Bergamo.
Among his books, The Times of Time (1993), and Systemic Therapy with Individuals (1996), both co-written with Luigi Boscolo, The Dialogical Therapist (2007), Emotions and the Therapist (2015).
He has travelled widely holding workshops and seminars on several topics related to systemic therapy, in Europe, Latin America, Singapore, New Zealand and Australia. His present interests concern the relationship between psychiatric and systemic thinking, the effects of social and economic conditions on therapeutic practice, and the dynamics of emotions according to a systemic view.